The Mercury supplies information and enjoyable each single day—however your assist is important. If you happen to imagine Portland advantages from sensible, native journalism and humanities protection, please consider making a small monthly contribution, as a result of with out you, there isn’t a us. Thanks in your help!
Kaiser nurses working at a drive-thru COVID-19 take a look at web site in 2020. JUSTIN SULLIVAN / GETTY IMAGES
Good morning, Portland! And welcome to Good Morning Information: It is what happened just lately!
And listed here are the headlines.
• Kaiser Permanente nurses and well being professionals in Oregon are getting ready to strike, as new contract negotiations have stalled on wage will increase and workloads. In a vote, 96 % of union members mentioned they help the strike, that means the union can now pull the set off on it at any time.
• A gaggle of former Oregon elected Republicans are suing to block the new congressional district map, calling it “partisan gerrymandering.” In an analogous 2001 lawsuit, the Oregon Supreme Court docket upheld the brand new map, so it might be unlikely that this lawsuit will change something.
• It’s been practically a yr since Portlanders voted to approve a brand new oversight system for police who interact in misconduct. But, as a result of the method of overhauling a police accountability program takes time, town remains to be working below the oversight system the poll measure goals to undo—the Police Evaluation Board. On this fascinating piece, our personal Alex Zielinski breaks down why the Police Evaluation Board is such an utter failure when it comes to disciplining cops.
• Pleased Anniversary to this couple!
After 299 days within the hospital with COVID, Sandy man returns dwelling, simply in time to have a good time twenty second wedding ceremony anniversary https://t.co/LLz9KttrQw
— KGW Information (@KGWNews) October 11, 2021
• The FDA is getting nearer to authorizing emergency use for the first pill used to treat COVID-19. The tablet, Merck’s molnupiravir, might minimize hospitalizations of at-risk COVID sufferers in half.
• It is time to fill up on Reese’s Items, as a result of Dr. Fauci says that trick-or-treating will be safe for kids this Halloween.
• Amazon was planning to open a brand new warehouse in San Diego—however the firm has now deserted the plan. In what I am positive is simply an enormous coincidence, San Diego has been contemplating adopting a new worker protection law that might require extra sick days and office security rules.
• Bye, bitch!
Jon Gruden mentioned he has resigned as head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders after the New York Instances reported he had used racist, misogynistic and homophobic language in emails over a number of years https://t.co/LrQn7eck3t pic.twitter.com/EjTAYz6euF
— Reuters (@Reuters) October 12, 2021
• Checking in on our extraordinarily practical federal authorities, through this AP headline: “Home returns to stave off default with debt restrict vote.”
• Netflix has suspended a trans employee who dared to tweet negatively in regards to the streaming service’s new horribly transphobic Dave Chapelle comedy particular. Netflix claims the worker, Terra Area, was suspended after she tried to attend a high-level assembly she wasn’t allowed to be at. Hmmm, talking fact to energy at work sounds so much like one thing an inspiring character in a Netflix present would do.
• And at last: I am a day late on this, however Pleased Coming Out Day!
Pleased nationwide popping out day! Be light with yourself- there isn’t a “proper method” to return out. For instance, I got here out by forgetting to cancel a free trial for a homosexual courting app whereas on a household plan pic.twitter.com/5D9J6wPfpy
— LN (@mediumnaturals) October 12, 2021