The Mercury gives information and enjoyable each single day—however your assist is crucial. In case you imagine Portland advantages from good, native journalism and humanities protection, please consider making a small monthly contribution, as a result of with out you, there isn’t any us. Thanks to your help!
Activists positioned indicators urging Biden to cancel pupil debt in entrance of the White Home earlier this week. Biden cancelled $500 million in pupil debt at the moment. Paul Morigi / Getty
In native information:
• The final of our Pleasure essays have arrived! Make sure that to take a look at Elanor Dealer’s piece on the expertise of watching a wave of anti-Trans legislation flood the country from inside Oregon’s progressive bubble, in addition to Dahlia Belle’s guide—and revision—of LGBTQ+ labels.
On this installment of the Mercury’s delight information “Queer Beginnings,” the good/pleasant @MxDahliaBelle means that it is time to reassess the labels we give ourselves within the LGBTQ neighborhood.https://t.co/T5H9FogbE4
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) June 18, 2021
• An Oregon man pled responsible to stealing $3.5 million in Coronavirus financial aid under the CARES Act. The person used a number of fraudulent enterprise names and different individuals’s identities to use for monetary help, which he then invested in shares. By the point his accounts have been seized, his investments have been price over $11 million.
• Oregon Senators Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley, and Congressman Earl Blumenauer despatched a letter to Governor Brown yesterday offering to secure federal funding for the Rose Quarter Interstate 5 expansion project—however provided that the undertaking contains the extremely contested freeway caps. Albina Imaginative and prescient Belief, a corporation that has been advocating for the inclusion of the freeway covers, is “delighted” by the help, whereas the Oregon Division of Transportation says together with the caps is extra sophisticated than simply discovering the funding.
• The Proud Boys are holding a “voter registration” drive in Oregon Metropolis this afternoon. As of 4 pm, counter protesters have confirmed up and Oregon Metropolis police have declared a riot:
Oregon Metropolis police declare riot simply now
• Metropolis leaders in Lake Oswego and Tigard have asked residents to reduce their use of water due to a chlorine shortage, which is utilized in small doses to forestall micro organism development in ingesting water. The scarcity—which is happening all around the state—is because of an influence outage at a Westlake chemical facility, which is Oregon’s major chlorine supplier. Oregon’s water is at present secure to drink and residents can be notified if the standing of the ingesting water adjustments.
• It’s Friday, so you recognize what time it’s: PDX POP QUIZ time! Step proper up and show your superior mind (or at the very least your capacity to recollect the information from this week)!
In nationwide information:
• President Biden has cancelled nearly $3 billion in student loan debt since taking workplace. That implies that Biden has cancelled… *squints at calculator* 0.17 p.c of People’ pupil mortgage debt. Woohoo!
• For all you jet setters on the market: The European Union has opened its borders to Americans. However, every particular person nation can set its personal rules in terms of vacationers, so be sure you do your analysis earlier than shopping for your aircraft ticket.
• With the assistance of secondhand procuring apps like Depop, the youth have turned thrifting into a $28 billion industry:
• The coelacanth—a “people-sized fish” from dinosaur times—can dwell for 100 years, scientists have discovered. The fish has been nicknamed the “living-fossil” as a result of it grows—and strikes—so slowly. Be at liberty to toss that enjoyable reality round at your subsequent get together!
• From the makers of HUMP! and SPLIFF comes a brand new movie fest that options brief documentaries made by YOU! It is known as SCOOP! and you can find out more about it here.
• And at last, my ideas exit to the HBO intern who accidentally sent out an integration test email to a portion of HBO Max subscribers. It occurs to the most effective of us.
We mistakenly despatched out an empty take a look at electronic mail to a portion of our HBO Max mailing checklist this night. We apologize for the inconvenience, and because the jokes pile in, sure, it was the intern. No, actually. And we’re serving to them by means of it. ❤️
— HBOMaxHelp (@HBOMaxHelp) June 18, 2021